Black Excellence may mean something different to everyone. We will not define what it means to you. We know that Black Excellence is grounded in the understanding that it already exists. For some, it may be a process of discovery to uncover and nurture it. For others, it only needs to be affirmed and supported. Black Excellence begins with beliefs and a mindset, guided by our core values as a district. Our approach and strategies will be informed through a partnership with our Black students, families, community partners and staff, who will help us achieve Black Excellence across our district. Visit the Black Excellence Facebook page for current stories and updates.
It is a belief
- We believe in the brilliance, creativity and bright futures of Black youth throughout Madison.
- We believe in the brilliance, creativity and important contributions of our Black staff.
- We believe in the beauty, persistence and value of our families raising Black children.
It is anchored to core values
It is an approach to the work
The Madison School District knows that we cannot create the solutions for our Black students in isolation. We must include and honor those who hold expertise and lived experiences to shape our success in this area.
- We will intentionally create space for families, students and community partners to inform and define the strategies we should execute.
- We will focus on ways to support the social-emotional, academic and healthy identity development for our Black students.
- We will commit to creating new narratives about our Black youth and highlight the excellence that already exists.
- We will commit to anti-racist, culturally responsive teaching and leading for equity so that Black excellence will become a reality in our district.
What does Black Excellence mean to you?
Hear what students and staff have to say about Black Excellence.
Join the Coalition
The Black Excellence Coalition is charged with the task of developing key recommendations and actions that will have impacts for Black students in MMSD. If you're interested in joining the coalition, please fill out the form.
Listen to our conversations about Black Excellence
You can listen to the conversations we've had so far about Black Excellence on our MMSD Voices podcast. We've linked them below and you also can listen to them and others on iTunes, TuneIn, Google Play, Stitcher or Spotify.
- The Legacy Builders
- Rudy Bankston and Nichelle Nichols talk about Black Excellence
- Community Conversations on Black Excellence
- "We Want to See Your Fullness"
- Don't Touch My Hair
- "I'm here as a reminder that students can achieve anything."
- Your Success is in Your Hands
And the winners are...
Earlier this year, we put out a call for student designs representing Black Excellence. Thank you to all the students who submitted designs. Congratulations to the following students whose designs were selected:
Atum - 3rd grade scholar at Shorewood Hills Elementary School
Jeniffer - 8th grade scholar at Akira Toki Middle School
C.J. - 10th grade scholar at James Madison Memorial High School
You can purchase merchandise featuring Atum, Jeniffer and C.J.'s designs in the MMSD Store .