Purpose of the Coalition
The Black Excellence Coalition is charged with the task of developing key recommendations and actions that will have the following impacts for Black students in MMSD.
- Affirm excellence
- Create conditions to shape and transform mindsets of educators
- Provide liberating experiences for our students to learn and affirm the richness of African and African American people and the way that racial inequities occur in educational systems
- Promote and nurture social emotional learning in our Black students
- Create a culture for success for students and their families
- Determine how we can create more safe spaces for honest, healing and growth for our Black students
- Address academic supports and any other supports needed from the perspective of our Black students and families
When - We will set up a series of informational sessions throughout January for those interested to learn more. Our goal is to have a schedule of regular meetings established by February for those who can commit to the work of the Coalition. We estimate Coalition members will likely commit to 3-4 hours a month until June 2019.
Who - We are currently collecting names of those interested in being part of our Coalition. Please complete the interest form.
Check out our progress - Coalition meeting notes
- Group Values / Agreements
- February 26, 2019
- March 19, 2019
- April 10, 2019
- April 23, 2019 (Plan for advancing racial equity in professional learning)
- Draft Plan of Racial Equity PD for MMSD 2019-2020
- April 30, 2019 (MMSD Hiring for Diversity)
- Presentation Deck from Human Resources
- May 9, 2019 (Proposed budget for 2019-2020)
- May 14, 2019 (review of community/family notes from Protecting Our Children meeting)
- June Recommendations to the Board of Education
- Final Preliminary Budget 2019-2020 (June 24)
Join the Coalition
If you're interested in joining the coalition, please fill out the form below and we will contact you.